Universal Music Group Files for US Listing
#image_title

Universal Music Group Files for US Listing


Share this post

Universal Music Group's (UMG) - which is the world's biggest music group and owner of the record labels behind mega stars Taylor Swift, Drake and Lady Gaga - has filed to sell its shares in the US.

The company, which is already listed in the Netherlands, has a stock market valuation there of almost €50bn ($43.3bn; $58.5bn).

The music powerhouse's line-up of international superstars also includes Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande and Harry Styles.

The move comes as two major US share indexes - the S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite - closed at fresh record highs on Monday as share markets continue to rebound after a brief slump over concerns triggered by President Donald Trump's tariff policies.

UMG said in its statement that it has filed a confidential statement with the US financial markets regulator, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

The potential public offering remains subject to review by the SEC, it added.

The company did not reveal the size of the planned US offering or how much it could raise.

Confidential filings allow firms to keep information private while engaging with regulators and assessing investor appetite for a share sale before disclosing details publicly.

Billionaire investor Bill Ackman's hedge fund Pershing Square, which is one of the biggest shareholders of UMG, has previously pushed the firm to list in the US.

In January, Mr Ackman posted on X that a listing in the US would push up UMG's value.

"We also believe the US listing will greatly improve trading liquidity for the shares," he said.

The global music conglomerate owns major record labels, including Motown Records, which was home to Marvin Gaye and Michael Jackson.

It also owns Capitol Music Group, which counts the Beatles and Katy Perry amongst its artists.

In 2024, UMG was involved in a dispute with TikTok over royalties.

The row saw UMG's music being muted or removed from the social media platform until both firms reached an agreement in May that year.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Trump Revokes Secret Service Protection for Harris Ahead of Book Tour

Trump Revokes Secret Service Protection for Harris Ahead of Book Tour

President Donald Trump has cancelled Secret Service protection for Kamala Harris, which had been extended by Joe Biden before he left office, according to one of her advisers. As a former vice-president, Ms Harris was entitled under law to receive six months of security after leaving office in January, which was due to expire in July. Her protection had been quietly extended for another year by a directive signed by her former boss but was revoked by Trump in a memo dated on Thursday, accordin


O A

French Montana & Sheikha Mahra Confirm Engagement

French Montana & Sheikha Mahra Confirm Engagement

French Montana is starting his next chapter in life with a major gesture of love. The rapper proposed to Princess Sheikha Mahra bint Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum with a diamond ring that carries a price tag of more than one million dollars. The piece was created by Eric the Jeweler of Mavani & Co., who worked closely with French for several months before the final design was completed. The ring features an emerald-cut diamond that weighs 11.53 carats and is valued at approximately $1,050,000


O A

Cam Newton Signs Multi-Year Deal with ESPN

Cam Newton Signs Multi-Year Deal with ESPN

Expect to see more of Cam Newton on ESPN.  The former NFL MVP has signed a muliti-year deal with the network who will expand his role on First Take, ESPN’s signature morning debate show. OnThursday (August 28), Newton made his return during a live show at Norfolk State University as part of the First Take HBCU tour. In a statement, Newton expressed his excitement to be back with the sports network. “I am excited to be back with the First Take team and share my voice on all things sports,” New


O A

Michael Jackson’s Son Prince Announces Engagement to Longtime Girlfriend

Michael Jackson’s Son Prince Announces Engagement to Longtime Girlfriend

Prince Jackson is stepping into a new chapter of his life, and it comes with a big announcement. The 27-year-old son of Michael Jackson revealed that he is now engaged to his longtime partner, Molly Schirmang. On Tuesday, August 27th, he shared the news with his Instagram followers through a carousel of photos that captured some of their happiest moments together. Embed The collection of pictures gave fans a closer look at their relationship, including a photo where Prince and Molly are seen s


O A