Trump Signs Executive Order Banning Transgender Athletes from Women Sports
#image_title

Trump Signs Executive Order Banning Transgender Athletes from Women Sports


Share this post

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Wednesday that prohibits transgender athletes from competing on women’s sports teams consistent with their gender identity.

Trump, who repeatedly pledged throughout his campaign to “keep men out of women’s sports,” is already following through on his broader anti-trans agenda in just the two weeks since he took office.

Trump recently signed an executive order barring openly transgender service members from the U.S. military and another that restricts access to gender-affirming care for kids.

He also signed an executive order on his first day in office that makes it the “policy of the United States to recognize two sexes, male and female.”

Just last month, the U.S. House passed a measure that would bar transgender students from participating on women’s school sports teams consistent with their gender identity.

Speaking at the signing ceremony inside a crowded White House room, Trump said that under his administration, “we will defend the proud tradition of female athletes, and we will not allow men to beat up, injure and cheat our women and our girls.”

“From now on, women’s sports will be only for women,” he said.

Dozens of women and young girls, some wearing sports uniforms, stood behind him.

The room was full of prominent GOP senators, members of Congress, governors, state attorneys general and leading voices in the movement opposing trans athletes’ participation in sports that align with their gender identity.

The Human Rights Campaign, an LGBTQ+ advocacy group, has noted that there has been “considerable disinformation and misinformation about what the inclusion of transgender youth in sports entails” and that trans students’ sports participation “has been a non-issue.”

Language of order

The order states that it is “the policy of the United States to rescind all funds from educational programs that deprive women and girls of fair athletic opportunities, which results in the endangerment, humiliation, and silencing of women and girls and deprives them of privacy.”

The order also directs all departments and agencies to “review grants to educational programs and, where appropriate, rescind funding to programs that fail to comply with the policy established in this order.”

Trump also asks the Department of Justice to offer resources to relevant agencies to “ensure expeditious enforcement of the policy established in this order.”

The order also calls on the assistant to the president for domestic policy to, within the next two months, convene state attorneys general to “identify best practices in defining and enforcing” the measure.

The executive order is sure to be met with legal challenges.

“We all want sports to be fair, students to be safe, and young people to have the opportunity to participate alongside their peers,” Kelley Robinson, president of the Human Rights Campaign, said in a statement ahead of the executive order.

“But an attempted blanket ban deprives kids of those things. This order could expose young people to harassment and discrimination, emboldening people to question the gender of kids who don’t fit a narrow view of how they’re supposed to dress or look,” Robinson said.

Biden rule struck down

In January, a federal judge in Kentucky struck down the Biden administration’s final rule for Title IX, part of which aimed to bolster federal protections for LGBTQ+ students.

Title IX is a landmark federal civil rights law that bars schools that receive federal funding from practicing sex-based discrimination.

The Education Department, under the Trump administration, clarified in a Dear Colleague letter last week that, following the judge’s order, the agency will enforce an earlier interpretation of Title IX from Trump’s first White House term.

“The department will return to enforcing Title IX protections on the basis of biological sex in schools and on campuses,” the agency noted.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Rihanna Marks 20 Years of Her Debut Album ‘Music of the Sun’

Rihanna Marks 20 Years of Her Debut Album ‘Music of the Sun’

Two decades ago, a teenage Rihanna left her home in Barbados with a dream. At just 17 years old, she released her debut album Music of the Sun on August 29, 2005. Now, twenty years later, Rihanna is celebrating the milestone with gratitude, nostalgia, and fresh surprises for fans. To mark the anniversary, Rihanna shared a moving message on Instagram, reflecting on the moment that changed her life forever. “20 years ago, I left my country, my culture, my food, and family to embark on a journey t


O A

Trump Revokes Secret Service Protection for Harris Ahead of Book Tour

Trump Revokes Secret Service Protection for Harris Ahead of Book Tour

President Donald Trump has cancelled Secret Service protection for Kamala Harris, which had been extended by Joe Biden before he left office, according to one of her advisers. As a former vice-president, Ms Harris was entitled under law to receive six months of security after leaving office in January, which was due to expire in July. Her protection had been quietly extended for another year by a directive signed by her former boss but was revoked by Trump in a memo dated on Thursday, accordin


O A

Apple Music Now Lets You Transfer Playlists From Spotify

Apple Music Now Lets You Transfer Playlists From Spotify

Apple Music's latest feature makes it easier to switch services and juggle multiple music platforms. Apple Music app customers woke up to a new feature Tuesday, although not many know it exists yet.  View this post on Instagram A post shared by New Dope (@newdopehq) Apple Music subscribers can now grab songs or playlists from other music platforms, notably Spotify, and bring them to Apple. The ability to transfer music from other music services is buried in the Music App settings. Init


O A

French Montana & Sheikha Mahra Confirm Engagement

French Montana & Sheikha Mahra Confirm Engagement

French Montana is starting his next chapter in life with a major gesture of love. The rapper proposed to Princess Sheikha Mahra bint Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum with a diamond ring that carries a price tag of more than one million dollars. The piece was created by Eric the Jeweler of Mavani & Co., who worked closely with French for several months before the final design was completed. The ring features an emerald-cut diamond that weighs 11.53 carats and is valued at approximately $1,050,000


O A