Trump, Putin to have 'discussion' on Ukraine this week
#image_title

Trump, Putin to have 'discussion' on Ukraine this week


Share this post

US President Donald Trump and Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin are expected to speak this week, officials said on Sunday, as Washington and Kyiv's European allies press Moscow to accept a ceasefire in the three-year war.

The United States this week proposed a halt in fighting in the war after talks in Saudi Arabia, with Kyiv accepting the proposal.

Putin however has given no clear answer, instead listing a string of conditions and raising "serious questions" over the proposition.

Trump's envoy for the conflict, Steve Witkoff, who met for several hours with Putin days ago, told CNN in a televised interview that he thinks "the two presidents are going to have a really good and positive discussion this week."

Earlier the Moscow said that US Secretary of State Marco Rubio called his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov and that the pair had discussed "concrete aspects of the implementation of understandings" at a US-Russia summit in Saudi Arabia last month.

Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelensky on Saturday accused the Kremlin of not wanting to end the war and warned that Moscow wanted to first "improve their situation on the battlefield" before agreeing to any ceasefire.

The February Riyadh gathering was the first high-level meeting between the United States and Russia since Moscow launched its attack in February 2022.

"Sergei Lavrov and Marco Rubio agreed to remain in contact," the Russian foreign ministry said, with no mention of the US-suggested ceasefire.

State Department spokeswoman Tammy Bruce said Saturday that the pair had "discussed the next steps" on Ukraine.

She also said Rubio and Lavrov "agreed to continue working towards restoring communication between the United States and Russia".

The Lavrov-Rubio call came hours after the UK hosted a virtual summit on Ukraine, with Prime Minister Keir Starmer accusing Putin of "dragging his feet" on the ceasefire.

"The 'yes, but' from Russia is not good enough," Starmer said, calling for a stop to the "barbaric attacks on Ukraine once and for all".

Kyiv the next day said Russia launched 90 Iranian-made Shahed drones onto nine Ukrainian regions.

Zelensky says Putin 'lying'

In his reaction to the ceasefire earlier this week, Putin said the initiative would benefit primarily Ukraine and not Russian forces, who he said are "advancing" in many areas.

He raised "serious questions" over the initiative.

The proposal came as Russia - which occupies swathes of southern and eastern Ukraine - has had momentum in some areas of the front.

It has ousted Ukrainian forces from parts of its Kursk region, where Kyiv hopes to hold onto Russian territory as a potential bargaining chip in any future negotiations.

Putin said he wanted to discuss Moscow's concerns with Trump in a phone call.

Zelensky said Saturday that by not agreeing to the ceasefire, Putin was also going against Trump - who has made overtures towards Russia - and accused Moscow of trying to find ways not to end the war.

He accused Putin of "lying about how a ceasefire is supposedly too complicated".

Ukraine said Sunday that one person was killed by a Russian drone strike on the city of Izyum - in the Kharkiv region, which fell to Russia at the start of its Ukraine attack before being retaken by Kyiv's forces.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Obama Responds To Racist Trump Video: “Decorum Has Been Lost”

Obama Responds To Racist Trump Video: “Decorum Has Been Lost”

Former President Barack Obama is breaking his silence regarding a racist video posted by Donald Trump on Truth Social. The now-deleted video depicted Obama and the former First Lady Michelle Obama as apes.  During an interview with YouTuber Brian Tyler Cohen, the pair discussed how political discourse has gone downhill. Coehn brought up several examples of inflammatory comments by Trump and his cabinet, as well as the recently deleted video. “There’s this sort of clown show that’s happening in


O A

Meghan Markle Shares Rare Valentine’s Day Photo of 4‑Year‑Old Princess Lilibet

Meghan Markle Shares Rare Valentine’s Day Photo of 4‑Year‑Old Princess Lilibet

Meghan Markle marked Valentine’s Day by sharing the clearest photo yet of Princess Lilibet’s face, offering a rare look at her 4‑year‑old daughter with Prince Harry. In the sunset shot, Harry beams while cradling Lilibet in a grassy field as she clutches red heart balloons, with Meghan captioning the image, “These two + Archie = my foreverines,” a line that quickly set royal‑watch social feeds buzzing. The picture, posted on February 14, drew extra attention because it highlights Lilibet’s matc


B P

Jill Scott Drops To Whom This May Concern, Her First Album in Over a Decade

Jill Scott Drops To Whom This May Concern, Her First Album in Over a Decade

Jill Scott is back with To Whom This May Concern, her first studio album in more than a decade, arriving February 13, 2026 with 19 tracks of grown‑woman neo‑soul, spoken word and jazz‑funk. Critics are calling it one of her most adventurous and empowering projects yet, weaving themes of healing, middle‑aged romance, divorce, community and self‑accountability into lush live‑band production and guest spots from Tierra Whack, Too $hort, JID, Trombone Shorty and more. You can read more in Variety’s


B P

Social media addiction trials

Social media addiction trials

Meta, TikTok, YouTube and other platforms are facing landmark “social media addiction” trials in California, where juries are weighing whether features like endless feeds and autoplay are harming young users. A lead Los Angeles case brought by a woman known as K.G.M. has become the template for hundreds of similar suits, and TikTok and Snap have already quietly settled while denying wrongdoing—signaling some companies may prefer deals over having their recommendation engines dissected in open co


B P