Trump Orders US Withdrawal from World Health Organization
#image_title

Trump Orders US Withdrawal from World Health Organization


Share this post

US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order to begin the process of withdrawing the US from the World Health Organization (WHO).

"Oooh, that's a big one," the newly inaugurated US president said as he approved the document after arriving back at the White House. It was one of dozens of executive actions he put his signature to on day one in office.

This marks the second time Trump has ordered the US be pulled out of the WHO.

Trump was critical of how the international body handled Covid-19 and began the process of pulling out from the Geneva-based institution during the pandemic. President Joe Biden later reversed that decision.

Carrying out this executive action on day one makes it more likely the US will formally leave the global agency.

"They wanted us back so badly so we'll see what happens," Trump said in the Oval Office, referring to the WHO, perhaps hinting the US might return eventually.

The order said the US was withdrawing "due to the organization's mishandling of the Covid-19 pandemic that arose out of Wuhan, China, and other global health crises, its failure to adopt urgently needed reforms, and its inability to demonstrate independence from the inappropriate political influence of WHO member states".

The executive order also said the withdrawal was the result of "unfairly onerous payments" the US made to the WHO, which is part of the United Nations.

When Trump was still in office the first time around he was critical of the organization for being too "China-centric" in its tackling of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Trump accused the WHO of being biased towards China in how it issued guidance during the outbreak.

Under the Biden administration the US continued to be the largest funder of the WHO and in 2023 it contributed almost one-fifth of the agency's budget.

The organization's annual budget is $6.8 billion (£5.5 billion).

Public health experts have been critical of Trump's decision to leave the WHO, warning there could be consequences for Americans' health.

Some have suggested the move could reverse progress made on fighting infectious diseases such as malaria, tuberculosis and Hiv & Aids.

Ashish Jha, who formerly worked as Covid-19 response co-ordinator under President Biden, previously warned leaving would "harm not only the health of people around the world, but also US leadership and scientific prowess".

"It's a cataclysmic presidential decision. Withdrawal is a grievous wound to world health, but a still deeper wound to the US," Lawrence Gostin, a global public health expert and Georgetown University professor said.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
WNBA Legend Nneka Ogwumike To Retire End Of Season

WNBA Legend Nneka Ogwumike To Retire End Of Season

Nneka Ogwumike, WNBA champion, league MVP, and 11-time All-Star announced her retirement following the 2026 season. Ogwumike confirmed the news in an exclusive interview with Taylor Rooks for Boardroom. “I’ve learned there’s power in knowing when to walk away. For so long, that strength meant finding a way to keep pushing. Now, it means recognizing when you feel complete. I find myself grateful, fulfilled, and at peace with everything this game has given me and everything I’ve poured into it,”


O A

Venus Williams awarded US Open wildcard

Venus Williams awarded US Open wildcard

Two-time US Open singles champion Venus ⁠Williams has received a wildcard entry into this year's ‌tournament, organisers said on Tuesday. Seven-time Grand Slam ‌winner Williams, 46, was ‌eliminated in the first round ‌at Flushing Meadows last year after ‌falling to Czech Karolina Muchova. She and sister Serena also returned ‌to doubles action for the ⁠first ‌time since 2022 on Monday, suffering an opening round defeat at the Cincinnati Open. Sloane Stephens, the 2017 US Open winner, was also


O A

Halle Berry Goes Topless In Lace Robe For 60th Birthday

Halle Berry Goes Topless In Lace Robe For 60th Birthday

Award-winning actress Halle Berry celebrated turning 60 with a topless message about confidence, health and embracing every stage of life. The Oscar-winning actress marked her Aug. 14 birthday with a series of sultry photos shared on social media. Berry appeared topless beneath a lace-trimmed red and black robe in one striking image. View this post on Instagram A post shared by Halle Berry (@halleberry) The photographs captured Berry enjoying a sunny celebration with longtime partner Va


O A

New York Knicks Karl-Anthony Towns & Jordyn Woods Get Married In Malibu

New York Knicks Karl-Anthony Towns & Jordyn Woods Get Married In Malibu

New York Knicks star Karl-Anthony Towns and Jordyn Woods are officially husband and wife. The couple exchanged vows in Malibu, California, over the weekend. Their celebration brought together Towns’ Knicks teammates, Hollywood stars and longtime friends. View this post on Instagram A post shared by Andscape (@andscape) Jalen Brunson, OG Anunoby and Josh Hart were among the Knicks players reportedly attending. Their presence highlighted Towns’ bond with the team following his move to New


O A