Trump administration cuts legal help for migrant children traveling alone
Trump Admin Cuts Legal Aid

Trump administration cuts legal help for migrant children traveling alone


Share this post

The Trump administration ended a contract that provided legal help to migrant children entering the U.S. without a parent or guardian. This decision has sparked concern that these kids will now have to navigate the complicated legal system alone.

The Acacia Center for Justice had a contract with the government to provide legal services to unaccompanied migrant children under 18. They helped with direct legal representation in immigration court and also conducted “know your rights” clinics for children in federal shelters. However, Acacia was informed that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is ending almost all of the legal services they provide, including paying for lawyers for about 26,000 children who have to go to immigration court. The only part of their work that will continue is the legal orientation clinics.

Ailin Buigues, who leads Acacia’s unaccompanied children program, said, “It’s extremely concerning because it’s leaving these kids without really important support. They’re often in a very vulnerable position.”

Unlike in criminal courts, people in deportation proceedings don’t have a right to a government-appointed attorney, though they can hire private lawyers. But it’s widely recognized that children who show up alone are especially vulnerable in the immigration system.

The Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2008 offers some special protections for children arriving in the U.S. without a parent or guardian.

Emily G. Hilliard, a spokesperson for the Department of Health and Human Services, said in a statement that the department is still meeting the legal requirements set by the Act, as well as a legal settlement about how children in immigration custody should be treated.

The termination of the contract comes just days before it was due for renewal on March 29. A month ago, the government temporarily paused all of the legal work Acacia and its partners were doing for migrant children, but they reversed that decision just days later.

The contract is part of a five-year agreement, but the government has the option not to renew it at the end of each year. A termination letter obtained by The Associated Press said the contract was being ended “for the Government’s convenience.”

Michael Lukens, the executive director of Amica, one of Acacia’s partners in Washington, D.C., said they had been worried something like this could happen as the renewal date approached. He emphasized that they’ll continue helping as many kids as they can “for as long as possible” and will fight the termination.

“We’re trying to pull every lever, but we have to be prepared for the worst, which is children going to court without attorneys all over the country,” he said. “This is a complete collapse of the system.”


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Trump orders closure of all airspace “above and near” Venezuela

Trump orders closure of all airspace “above and near” Venezuela

US President Donald Trump warned on Saturday that the airspace above and near Venezuela should be considered closed, the latest escalation in a standoff with leftist leader Nicolas Maduro. “To all Airlines, Pilots, Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social network, “please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY.” The US president did not elaborate. Trump’s administration is piling pressure on Venezuela, with a major milit


O A

‘Rush Hour 4’ Officially Greenlit — Thanks To Trump Endorsement

‘Rush Hour 4’ Officially Greenlit — Thanks To Trump Endorsement

The iconic Rush Hour franchise is officially ready for its next installment and has been greenlit for production, PEOPLE reports. However, it wouldn’t have been possible without President Donald Trump, who lobbied on the film and its director’s behalf. The surprise news came from entertainment journalist and former editorial director for The Hollywood Reporter, Matthew Belloni.  The outlet had shared a recent X post made by Belloni on (Nov.25), which read, “I teased this last night in What I’m


O A

Louvre museum to hike entrance fee for non-European visitors by 45%

Louvre museum to hike entrance fee for non-European visitors by 45%

A visit to the Louvre museum in Paris is set to become significantly more expensive for travelers from outside Europe, with officials announcing plans to hike the price of tickets by 45%. From January 14, 2026, an individual ticket for visitors from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) — a grouping of nations that comprises the European Union member states plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway — will cost 32 euros ($37), a spokesperson for the Louvre told CNN on Friday. Those visiting as


O A

Hong Kong Fire Claims 94 Lives as Families Search for the Missing

Hong Kong Fire Claims 94 Lives as Families Search for the Missing

Families of the scores still missing after Hong Kong‘s worst blaze in decades scoured hospitals Friday as firefighting operations ended, with the death toll at least 94. Flames had moved quickly through the Wang Fuk Court housing estate in Tai Po district on Wednesday afternoon, spreading through the eight high-rises and transforming the densely packed complex into an inferno. A new time-lapse video shows just how dramatic and intense the fire was. The death toll is 83, with many still missin


O A