Saudi Arabia to Host 2034 World Cup; 2030 Tournament Set for Six Nations
#image_title

Saudi Arabia to Host 2034 World Cup; 2030 Tournament Set for Six Nations


Share this post

The 2034 World Cup will take place in Saudi Arabia, while the 2030 World Cup will be hosted across Morocco, Portugal, and Spain, with three opening matches held in South America, FIFA confirmed during an extraordinary general congress on Wednesday.

The announcement was made by FIFA President Gianni Infantino following a virtual congress. Both the 2030 and 2034 World Cups had single bids and were confirmed by acclamation, with the support of over 200 FIFA member federations.

"We are bringing football to more countries, and the increase in teams has not diminished the quality but rather enhanced opportunities," Infantino stated about the 2030 World Cup. He asked officials to demonstrate their support by clapping their hands at head level during the announcement.

Saudi Arabia was the sole bidder for the 2034 edition of the tournament.

"This is a historic moment for Saudi Arabia and a dream come true for all our 32 million people who simply love the game," said Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki bin Faisal Al Saud, president of the Saudi Olympic and Paralympic Committee. "The Kingdom is on a remarkable journey of transformation under Vision 2030, and today marks another significant step forward, reflecting our progress while envisioning a brighter future."

For the 2030 competition, FIFA presented a unique voting option where Uruguay, Paraguay, and Argentina—countries that had previously proposed a rival co-hosting bid—will each host one opening match. This allows FIFA to stage the first game in Montevideo, Uruguay’s capital, at the Centenario Stadium, where the inaugural 1930 World Cup final was held a century ago.

"What better way to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the World Cup in 2030 than by hosting it in six countries across three continents, with 48 teams playing 104 epic matches," Infantino remarked. "The world will come together to celebrate 100 years of the World Cup. Congratulations to all the bidders, and my profound thanks to the six confederation presidents and their teams."

In 2023, FIFA confirmed that the 2034 World Cup would be held in the Asia or Oceania region, with the Asian Football Confederation backing Saudi Arabia’s bid. Although Australia and Indonesia had discussed a joint bid, they eventually withdrew, leaving Saudi Arabia’s proposal uncontested.

"Football lives in our hearts, so hosting a FIFA World Cup is the ultimate honor," said Yasser Al Misehal, president of the Saudi Arabian Football Federation. "We welcome the opportunity to grow the game globally and make a positive contribution on the world stage."

However, criticism arose regarding FIFA’s decision-making process. The Norwegian Football Federation (NFF) announced its opposition to awarding hosting rights by acclamation, labeling FIFA’s bidding process as "flawed and inconsistent."

Following the confirmation of Saudi Arabia as hosts for 2034, 21 organizations, including Amnesty International and various migrant workers’ and human rights groups, issued a joint statement condemning the move.

"FIFA’s reckless decision to award the 2034 World Cup to Saudi Arabia without ensuring adequate human rights protections will endanger many lives," said Steve Cockburn, Amnesty International’s head of labor rights and sport, in a statement released Wednesday.

Saudi Arabia has denied accusations of human rights abuses, asserting that its laws prioritize national security. The country, hosting a tournament of this scale for the first time, will need to build eight stadiums for the event.

All host nations will gain automatic entry into the expanded 48-team tournament.

FIFA faces opposition from Europe’s top leagues, including the Premier League and La Liga, over plans for a winter World Cup in Saudi Arabia. Sources informed ESPN that a "concrete agreement" would be required from leagues and players to accommodate the fixture calendar disruption caused by the tournament.

This report incorporates information from Reuters.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Venus Williams awarded US Open wildcard

Venus Williams awarded US Open wildcard

Two-time US Open singles champion Venus ⁠Williams has received a wildcard entry into this year's ‌tournament, organisers said on Tuesday. Seven-time Grand Slam ‌winner Williams, 46, was ‌eliminated in the first round ‌at Flushing Meadows last year after ‌falling to Czech Karolina Muchova. She and sister Serena also returned ‌to doubles action for the ⁠first ‌time since 2022 on Monday, suffering an opening round defeat at the Cincinnati Open. Sloane Stephens, the 2017 US Open winner, was also


O A

Halle Berry Goes Topless In Lace Robe For 60th Birthday

Halle Berry Goes Topless In Lace Robe For 60th Birthday

Award-winning actress Halle Berry celebrated turning 60 with a topless message about confidence, health and embracing every stage of life. The Oscar-winning actress marked her Aug. 14 birthday with a series of sultry photos shared on social media. Berry appeared topless beneath a lace-trimmed red and black robe in one striking image. View this post on Instagram A post shared by Halle Berry (@halleberry) The photographs captured Berry enjoying a sunny celebration with longtime partner Va


O A

New York Knicks Karl-Anthony Towns & Jordyn Woods Get Married In Malibu

New York Knicks Karl-Anthony Towns & Jordyn Woods Get Married In Malibu

New York Knicks star Karl-Anthony Towns and Jordyn Woods are officially husband and wife. The couple exchanged vows in Malibu, California, over the weekend. Their celebration brought together Towns’ Knicks teammates, Hollywood stars and longtime friends. View this post on Instagram A post shared by Andscape (@andscape) Jalen Brunson, OG Anunoby and Josh Hart were among the Knicks players reportedly attending. Their presence highlighted Towns’ bond with the team following his move to New


O A

Drake Reveals He Thinks Ella Langley Has A “GOATed Pen”

Drake Reveals He Thinks Ella Langley Has A “GOATed Pen”

Drake has sparked fresh conversation across the music industry after bestowing high praise on an unexpected artist outside the hip-hop genre.  In a recent social media interaction, the multi-platinum rapper crowned rising country music sensation Ella Langley as having a “goated pen.” The endorsement came through Instagram, where Drake commented on a post shared by Langley. The country singer has recently seen a surge in popularity, particularly with the success of her track “Choosin Texas.” Wh


O A