Novak Djokovic Boycotts On-Court Interview to Protest Broadcaster’s Remarks
#image_title

Novak Djokovic Boycotts On-Court Interview to Protest Broadcaster’s Remarks


Share this post

Novak Djokovic was booed after boycotting an on-court interview at the Australian Open - but those fans may already be regretting their actions.

The 24-time Grand Slam record holder overcame Jiri Lehecka in straight sets to book a blockbuster quarter-final clash with Carlos Alcaraz, but he wasn’t in the mood to talk about it post-match.

Djokovic took the microphone and turned away from four-time Grand Slam champion Jim Courier to speak to the crowd, uttering just 24 words.

He said: “Thank you very much for being here tonight, I appreciate your presence and support and I’ll see you next round, thank you very much.”

There were cheers, but also some boos as tennis stars usually hang around to discuss their match in depth, yet the Serbian would explain his protest later on.

Speaking in his post-match press conference, Djokovic revealed his actions came as a result of remarks made by Australian presenter Tony Jones last week.

He stated: "I would like to just clarify the reason why the interview was not conducted on the court.

"A couple of days ago, the famous sports journalist who works for official broadcaster Channel Nine here in Australia, made a mockery of Serbian fans and also made insulting and offensive comments towards me.

"And since then, he chose not to issue any public apology. Neither did Channel Nine. So since they’re official broadcasters, I chose not to give interviews for Channel Nine.

"I have nothing against Jim Courier or neither the Australian public. It was a very awkward situation for me to face on the court today.”

The moment Djokovic was discussing hadn’t quite gone viral, but it likely will now as presenter Jones made some bizarre and harsh remarks about the 37-year-old.

Speaking in front of a crowd of fans with Serbian flags, he turned to them and said: “Novak he’s overrated.

“Novak, he’s a has-been, Novak, kick him out. Boy I’m glad they can’t hear me.”

It was perhaps just a joke from Jones, but it wasn’t exactly an amusing one, with most failing to see the funny side.

One of those was Australian star Nick Kyrgios, who reposted the video on Instagram with the words: “Coming from this clown – couldn't run around a park this bloke.”

Another Aussie tennis star, 1982 Australian Open semi-finalist Paul McNamee, also had his say.

“Tony I'm surprised, especially as you work for the host broadcaster, that you would send up a bunch of Aussies [with European heritage] having a good time celebrating their Ten-time AO champion… trying to be funny mate,” he wrote on social media in response.

Djokovic already has a difficult relationship with Australia after being deported in 2022 for failing to comply with their Covid-19 regulations.

Yet the majority of the crowd were still on the side of who many consider the greatest of all time - at least when it comes to statistics.

Currently ranked seventh in the world, Djokovic will be looking to add to his 24 majors, but standing in his way is a man who’s helped nudge him towards retirement.

World No. 3 Alcaraz passed Britain’s Jack Draper in a walkover to set up the mouthwatering clash, which will be the eighth meeting between himself and Djokovic.

The elder competitor boasts a 4-3 record from their seven meetings so far, but Alcaraz saves his best for the big time, beating Djokovic in the past two Wimbledon finals.

Yet their last clash in last summer’s Paris Olympics saw Djokovic take gold over his Spanish rival in incredibly emotional scenes that revitalised his late career charge towards more honours.

The pair will meet again on Tuesday for a place in the last four.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Druski on Backing Drake During Kendrick Lamar Battle: ‘That’s My Brother’

Druski on Backing Drake During Kendrick Lamar Battle: ‘That’s My Brother’

Druski is addressing the viral speculation surrounding his loyalty during the highly publicized musical feud between Drake and Kendrick Lamar.  In a new cover story for GQ, the Atlanta native clarified that his personal relationship with the Canadian superstar remains unshaken despite the industry-wide tension that defined much of the past two years. “That’s my brother. I don’t care about what’s hot at the moment or what’s going on,” Druski said regarding his friendship with Drake. He emphasiz


O A

Jamie Foxx Announces New Comedy Special “Take Care Of Yourself” On Hulu

Jamie Foxx Announces New Comedy Special “Take Care Of Yourself” On Hulu

Award-winning comedian Jamie Foxx is returning to his comedy roots with “Take Care of Yourself,” a new stand-up special premiering Oct. 7 on Hulu. The streamer announced the special Thursday, revealing its title, premiere date and first-look image. U.S. viewers can watch the special on Hulu, while eligible bundle subscribers can access it through Hulu on Disney+. “Take Care of Yourself” marks Foxx’s latest project under Hulu’s Hularious comedy banner. The Academy Award-winning actor, comedian,


O A

WNBA Legend Nneka Ogwumike To Retire End Of Season

WNBA Legend Nneka Ogwumike To Retire End Of Season

Nneka Ogwumike, WNBA champion, league MVP, and 11-time All-Star announced her retirement following the 2026 season. Ogwumike confirmed the news in an exclusive interview with Taylor Rooks for Boardroom. “I’ve learned there’s power in knowing when to walk away. For so long, that strength meant finding a way to keep pushing. Now, it means recognizing when you feel complete. I find myself grateful, fulfilled, and at peace with everything this game has given me and everything I’ve poured into it,”


O A

Halle Berry Goes Topless In Lace Robe For 60th Birthday

Halle Berry Goes Topless In Lace Robe For 60th Birthday

Award-winning actress Halle Berry celebrated turning 60 with a topless message about confidence, health and embracing every stage of life. The Oscar-winning actress marked her Aug. 14 birthday with a series of sultry photos shared on social media. Berry appeared topless beneath a lace-trimmed red and black robe in one striking image. View this post on Instagram A post shared by Halle Berry (@halleberry) The photographs captured Berry enjoying a sunny celebration with longtime partner Va


O A