Massive Explosion at Major Iranian Port Kills 14, Injures Over 750
#image_title

Massive Explosion at Major Iranian Port Kills 14, Injures Over 750


Share this post

At least 14 people have been killed and 750 injured in a massive explosion at one of Iran's key ports, authorities say.

The blast took place at Shahid Rajaee, the country's largest commercial port, near the southern city of Bandar Abbas on Saturday morning.

It blew out windows and roofs of nearby buildings and destroyed cars. Residents reported feeling the impact of the blast up to 50km (31 miles) away.

Videos verified by the BBC show a fire growing in intensity before a huge explosion, with people subsequently fleeing the blast and others lying wounded on roads surrounded by smoking debris.

"The entire warehouse was filled with smoke, dust and ashes. I don't remember if I went under the table or was thrown there by the blast," one person who was in the area told state TV.

Aerial footage showed at least three areas ablaze and Iran's interior minister later confirmed that the fire was spreading from one container to another. Schools and offices in the region have been ordered to remain closed on Sunday.

One private maritime risk firm said it believed the affected containers had contained solid fuel destined for ballistic missiles.

The fire was the result of "improper handling of a shipment of solid fuel intended for use in Iranian ballistic missiles", Ambrey Intelligence said.

Ambrey said it was aware that an Iran-flagged ship "discharged a shipment of sodium perchlorate rocket fuel at the port in March 2025".

The Financial Times newspaper had previously reported that two vessels had shipped fuel to Iran from China.

State media quoted witnesses as saying the explosion occurred after a fire broke out and spread to unsealed containers storing "flammable materials".

Customs officials later released a statement reported by Iranian state TV saying the explosion had probably resulted from a fire that had broken out in a hazmat and chemical materials storage depot.

In a later update Ambrey quoted Iran's National Disaster Management Organisation as saying officials had previously issued warnings to Shahid Rajaee port regarding the safe storage of chemicals.

Highways were littered with debris and rubble after the explosion

Shahid Rajaee port is Iran's largest and most advanced terminal, through which much of the country's commercial shipping transits.

It is located on the Strait of Hormuz, a major shipping channel for oil cargo, and is about 20km (12 miles) west of Bandar Abbas, Iran's major port city on its south coast and home to the Iranian Navy's main base.

Iran's national oil production company said the explosion at the port had "no connection" to the country's oil refineries, fuel tanks and pipelines, local media reported.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has expressed his "deep regret and sympathy" for victims. He has announced a government investigation and sent the interior minister to the region to lead it.

Saturday's explosion coincided with the latest round of negotiations between Iranian and US officials on Iran's nuclear programme, with US President Donald Trump aiming to make a deal that would prevent Tehran from gaining nuclear weapons.

Negotiating through Oman mediators, both sides reported that progress had been made, but Iran's top representative said work was still needed to narrow differences. Negotiations will continue next week.

Iran has said it is open to curbs on its nuclear programme in return for sanctions easing but has insisted it will not stop enriching uranium. It insists its nuclear programme is for civilian use.

The talks this year have marked the first high-level engagement between the US and Iran since 2018, when Trump in his first term pulled out of a previous deal to restrict Iran's nuclear activities and reinstated economic sanctions.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
What Super Bowl 2026’s Ads Say About Where Brands (and Viewers) Are Now

What Super Bowl 2026’s Ads Say About Where Brands (and Viewers) Are Now

Super Bowl LX’s ads felt like a snapshot of where brands – and viewers – are in 2026: nostalgic, celebrity‑obsessed and quietly anxious about AI. To see the spots in one place before diving in, you can watch this roundup: Top 10 Super Bowl LX Commercials 2026. Budweiser’s “American Icons” Clydesdales spot and Lay’s sentimental “Last Harvest” story topped USA Today’s Ad Meter, leaning into heartland imagery and family moments that could have aired a decade ago, just with sharper cinematography.


B P

Notorious B.I.G.’s Son Reportedly Looking to Confront Accuser in Diddy Case

Notorious B.I.G.’s Son Reportedly Looking to Confront Accuser in Diddy Case

CJ Wallace, the son of the late rapper Notorious B.I.G., is pressing ahead with a defamation lawsuit against music publicist Jonathan Hay. However, the case has stalled over procedural challenges. According to reports, Wallace recently told a judge that repeated efforts to formally serve Hay with court papers have been unsuccessful. Without proper service, the case cannot move forward. Hay has not publicly commented on the matter. The legal dispute stems from allegations Hay has made against Wa


O A

USA Team Stars come out on top in NBA All-Star tournament, beating USA Stripes in final

USA Team Stars come out on top in NBA All-Star tournament, beating USA Stripes in final

Anthony Edwards and Tyrese Maxey sparked the USA Stars over USA Stripes 47-21 in Sunday's final of the 75th NBA All-Star Game tournament. Maxey scored nine points while Edwards and Chet Holmgren added eight each as young Stars talent overwhelmed the veteran-laden USA Stripes in the championship game at Intuit Dome, home of the Los Angeles Clippers. "We chose to compete today and we came out on top," said Edwards, the Minnesota Timberwolvesguard who won the NBA All-Star Game Most Valuable Playe


O A

Obama Responds To Racist Trump Video: “Decorum Has Been Lost”

Obama Responds To Racist Trump Video: “Decorum Has Been Lost”

Former President Barack Obama is breaking his silence regarding a racist video posted by Donald Trump on Truth Social. The now-deleted video depicted Obama and the former First Lady Michelle Obama as apes.  During an interview with YouTuber Brian Tyler Cohen, the pair discussed how political discourse has gone downhill. Coehn brought up several examples of inflammatory comments by Trump and his cabinet, as well as the recently deleted video. “There’s this sort of clown show that’s happening in


O A