Jussie Smollett, Guilty Of Staging The Attack, Verdict Says It Was All A Hoax


Share this post

Today, Jussie Smollett was found guilty of staging the attack he claimed happened on January 29, 2019. Smollett told cops that he had been targeted by two white males for being gay and Black. He went on to say that the men attacked him and screamed "This is MAGA country!!!," while beating him up and throwing a noose around his neck. According to the jury, reported by TMZ, it was all a story of fiction. They found that it was an elaborate hoax orchestrated by Smollett, himself.

Smollett Found Guilty

The court ruled that Smollett was guilty of five out of six felony counts for lying to police on the night of the alleged incident on January 29, 2019. For the sixth count, where he spoke to the Chicago Police Department about the alleged aggravated burglary, on February 14, 2019, they found him not guilty.

Smollett claimed for years that he was innocent, going as far as taking the stand, something that criminal defendants usually don't do. He tried to paint the scene for everyone in the courtroom. He said that the Osundairo brothers told him he needed to add protein to his diet, and that was the reason he was out at 2am on January 29, 2019. They were his trainers, and he was allegedly buying eggs upon their consultation. Smollett went after the Osundairos brothers, their character and their credibility. He even made a claim that he had a sexual relationship with one of the brothers, Bola, even though Bola said the opposite while under oath, earlier in the case. Bola said there was absolutely no sexual relationship whatsoever.

Smollett's Sentencing

When the brothers testified, they detailed the events leading up to the incident, saying that Smollett gave them instructions and money to pay for supplies. Video surveillance even caught the brothers on camera buying the said supplies. By the end of the case, the jury had to decide whether they believed Smollett or the brothers. Their verdict resulted in a guilty judgement against Smollett. He now awaits sentencing. While the court decides his sentence, Smollett will be free.

City Of Chicago Owed $130k In Restitution

Smollett will most likely be required to pay the city of Chicago $130k in restitution. The city claims it cost them that amount to investigate the fake attack. Smollett could be facing a 3-year prison sentence. But with no prior record of criminal activity, he may not do any time in jail at all. His attorneys have made it clear, they will be appealing this case.

Featured image via PBS (REUTERS / Kamil Krzaczynski).


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Legendary Actor Robert Duval passes at the age of 95

Legendary Actor Robert Duval passes at the age of 95

Robert Duvall, the Oscar‑winning American actor whose quiet intensity and emotional precision reshaped the modern screen tough guy, has died at the age of 95. Duvall died Sunday at his home in Middleburg, Virginia, where he passed away “peacefully” surrounded by loved ones. His wife, Luciana Duvall, shared the news in a heartfelt online statement, calling him her “beloved husband, cherished friend, and one of the greatest actors of our time.” No immediate further details about the circumstances


Elliot O

What Super Bowl 2026’s Ads Say About Where Brands (and Viewers) Are Now

What Super Bowl 2026’s Ads Say About Where Brands (and Viewers) Are Now

Super Bowl LX’s ads felt like a snapshot of where brands – and viewers – are in 2026: nostalgic, celebrity‑obsessed and quietly anxious about AI. To see the spots in one place before diving in, you can watch this roundup: Top 10 Super Bowl LX Commercials 2026. Budweiser’s “American Icons” Clydesdales spot and Lay’s sentimental “Last Harvest” story topped USA Today’s Ad Meter, leaning into heartland imagery and family moments that could have aired a decade ago, just with sharper cinematography.


B P

Notorious B.I.G.’s Son Reportedly Looking to Confront Accuser in Diddy Case

Notorious B.I.G.’s Son Reportedly Looking to Confront Accuser in Diddy Case

CJ Wallace, the son of the late rapper Notorious B.I.G., is pressing ahead with a defamation lawsuit against music publicist Jonathan Hay. However, the case has stalled over procedural challenges. According to reports, Wallace recently told a judge that repeated efforts to formally serve Hay with court papers have been unsuccessful. Without proper service, the case cannot move forward. Hay has not publicly commented on the matter. The legal dispute stems from allegations Hay has made against Wa


O A

USA Team Stars come out on top in NBA All-Star tournament, beating USA Stripes in final

USA Team Stars come out on top in NBA All-Star tournament, beating USA Stripes in final

Anthony Edwards and Tyrese Maxey sparked the USA Stars over USA Stripes 47-21 in Sunday's final of the 75th NBA All-Star Game tournament. Maxey scored nine points while Edwards and Chet Holmgren added eight each as young Stars talent overwhelmed the veteran-laden USA Stripes in the championship game at Intuit Dome, home of the Los Angeles Clippers. "We chose to compete today and we came out on top," said Edwards, the Minnesota Timberwolvesguard who won the NBA All-Star Game Most Valuable Playe


O A