Hamas Releases 3 Hostages Under Cease-Fire Agreement with Israel
#image_title

Hamas Releases 3 Hostages Under Cease-Fire Agreement with Israel


Share this post

Hamas released three Israeli hostages to the Red Cross on Sunday, Israeli state media reported, hours after a Gaza ceasefire took effect.

Romi Gonen, 24, Emily Demari, 27, and Doron Steinbrecher, 31, were freed to the Red Cross, which will then deliver them to the Israeli Defense Forces. A crowd watched the ongoing saga in Tel Aviv, cheering as good news emerged 15 months after the Oct. 7 massacre of civilians by Hamas.

Israel is expected to free some 90 Palestinian prisoners in return.

Earlier, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the Israeli Defense Forces that the cease-fire would not begin until Israel had the list of hostages expected to be freed. Since Hamas had not given the names of the hostages by the time the cease-fire was set to start, the IDF continued to operate, as it was still striking inside Gaza. At least eight Gazans have been killed in IDF strikes since the cease-fire was set to begin, according to a Hamas-run agency.

Hamas had said the three-hour delay in providing the names was due to "technical field reasons" and added that it is committed to the cease-fire deal announced last week.

Hamas released a statement after the cease-fire began, pledging to the people of Gaza "to be the trustees of their rights and defenders of them, until the complete liberation of the land and the holy sites."

"The whole world today must stand in reverence for the legendary steadfastness of our people in Gaza, and in appreciation of their patience and sacrifices over the course of 471 days," Hamas said.

"With the entry into force of the ceasefire, we affirm our commitment to implementing the terms of the agreement, which is the fruit of the steadfastness and patience of our great people, and the legendary steadfastness of our valiant resistance in the face of the zionist machine of terrorism and killing," the statement continued.

Israel’s Cabinet approved the deal early Saturday morning for a cease-fire in Gaza that would include the release of dozens of hostages and pause the war with Hamas that began after the terror group's Oct. 7, 2023, attack on the Jewish State.

The deal would allow 33 hostages to be set free over the next six weeks, in exchange for hundreds of Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. The remaining hostages are set to be released in a second phase that will be negotiated during the first.

"Our heroic prisoners have an appointment with freedom starting today, and this is our firm pledge with them always, until they break the shackles of the jailer and breathe freedom in the skies of Palestine," Hamas said in its statement.

Hamas agreed to release three female hostages on the first day of the deal, four on the seventh day and the remaining 26 over the next five weeks.

Hamas has said it will not release the remaining hostages without a lasting cease-fire and a full Israeli withdrawal.

This is the second cease-fire achieved during the war.

Gaza is expected to receive a surge in humanitarian aid when the cease-fire begins.

"We are monitoring the operations of bringing in aid and providing relief to our people with everything necessary, and we confirm that all efforts will be made to provide all the necessary support and assistance requirements to restore the cycle of life in the Gaza Strip to normal," Hamas said in its statement.

The 15-month-long war in Gaza started when Hamas launched a surprise attack against Israel on Oct. 7, 2023, in which roughly 1,200 people wer killed and about 250 others were abducted, prompting military retaliation from Israeli forces. Nearly 100 hostages remain captive in Gaza.

More than 46,000 Palestinians have been killed by Israel's offensive, according to the Hamas-run government's local health officials, who do not distinguish between civilians and terrorists.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Drake Stars in First Campaign for Kevin Durant’s Nike KD 19

Drake Stars in First Campaign for Kevin Durant’s Nike KD 19

A new campaign pairing Kevin Durant with Drake is drawing attention ahead of the release of the NOCTA x Nike KD 19 sneaker collection. In the promotional clip, Durant walks Drake through a string of exaggerated shoe concepts before unveiling the final design tied to the upcoming collaboration. The commercial offers one of the clearest looks yet at the collection. Notably, a bright monochromatic blue sneaker is featured prominently throughout the teaser. The rollout arrives as both Nike and NOCTA


O A

D4vd Appears in Court as Murder Case Hearing Is Delayed Again

D4vd Appears in Court as Murder Case Hearing Is Delayed Again

Category: Entertainment → Music / Crime & Courts Singer d4vd has appeared in court for a brief hearing in his ongoing murder case, only for the judge to postpone proceedings yet again. The rising artist, best known for “Romantic Homicide,” is facing serious charges connected to a fatal incident that has cast a shadow over his career. At the latest hearing, the judge pushed the case back to a new date, citing scheduling and the need for additional preparation from both sides. Fans and critics a


B P

The 30 Best Lakers of All Time, Ranked

The 30 Best Lakers of All Time, Ranked

The Los Angeles Lakers have such a deep history of stars that just making a top‑30 list is an achievement in itself. From the Minneapolis days through Showtime, the Shaq‑and‑Kobe dynasty and the current LeBron era, the franchise has rarely gone long without at least one all‑time great on the roster. A new ranking runs through the 30 best Lakers ever, weighing championships, individual accolades, longevity in purple and gold and overall impact on the franchise. It moves from role‑playing glue gu


B P

Max B Puts Himself Behind Biggie, Jay-Z And Nas Among New York’s Greatest Rappers

Max B Puts Himself Behind Biggie, Jay-Z And Nas Among New York’s Greatest Rappers

Max B is back in the spotlight, and he’s making it clear that he doesn’t see himself as just a footnote in New York rap history. In a recent interview, he placed his name alongside Biggie, Jay–Z and Nas, claiming he’s among the greatest New York rappers of all time — a statement that instantly reignited debates about influence, legacy and how you rank artists who shifted culture more than charts. For Max, the argument has never really been about numbers on a streaming page, but about the way he


B P