Driver Kills at Least Two in Suspected Attack on German Christmas Market
#image_title

Driver Kills at Least Two in Suspected Attack on German Christmas Market


Share this post

At least 2 dead and 60 hurt after a car drives into a German Christmas market in a suspected attack.

A car plowed into a busy outdoor Christmas market in the eastern German city of Magdeburg on Friday, killing at least two people and injuring at least 60 others in what authorities called a deliberate attack.

The driver was arrested at the scene shortly after the car barreled into the market at around 7 p.m., when it was teeming with holiday shoppers looking forward to the weekend.

Verified by stander footage distributed by the German news agency dpa showed the suspect’s arrest on a walkway in the middle of the road. A nearby police officer pointing a handgun at the man shouted at him as he lay prone. Other officers soon arrived to take the man into custody.

The two people confirmed dead were an adult and a toddler, but officials said additional deaths couldn’t be ruled out because 15 people had been seriously injured.

The violence shocked the city, bringing its mayor to the verge of tears and marring a festive event that’s part of a centuries-old German tradition. It also prompted several other German towns to cancel their weekend Christmas markets as a precaution and out of solidarity with Magdeburg’s loss.

The suspect is a 50-year-old Saudi doctor who moved to Germany in 2006, Tamara Zieschang, the interior minister for the state of Saxony-Anhalt, said at a news conference. He has been practicing medicine in Bernburg, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) south of Magdeburg, she said.

“As things stand, he is a lone perpetrator, so that as far as we know there is no further danger to the city,” Saxony-Anhalt’s governor, Reiner Haseloff, told reporters. “Every human life that has fallen victim to this attack is a terrible tragedy and one human life too many.”

The violence occurred in Magdeburg, a city of about 240,000 people west of Berlin that serves as Saxony-Anhalt’s capital. Friday’s attack came eight years after an Islamic extremist drove a truck into crowded Christmas market in Berlin, killing 13 peopleand injuring many others. The attacker was killed days later in a shootout in Italy.

Christmas markets are a huge part of German culture as an annual holiday tradition cherished since the Middle Ages and successfully exported to much of the Western world. In Berlin alone, more than 100 markets opened late last month and brought the smells of mulled wine, roasted almonds and bratwurst to the capital. Other markets abound across the country.

German Interior Minister Nancy Faeser said late last month that there were no concrete indications of a danger to Christmas markets this year, but that it was wise to be vigilant.

Hours after Friday’s tragedy, the wail of sirens clashed with the market’s festive ornaments, stars and leafy garlands.

Magdeburg resident Dorin Steffen told dpa that she was at a concert in a nearby church when she heard the sirens. The cacophony was so loud “you had to assume that something terrible had happened.”

She called the attack “a dark day” for the city.

“We are shaking,” Steffen said. “Full of sympathy for the relatives, also in the hope that nothing has happened to our relatives, friends and acquaintances.”

The attack reverberated far beyond Magdeburg, with Haseloff calling it a catastrophe for the city, state and country. He said flags would be lowered to half-staff in Saxony-Anhalt and that the federal government planned to do the same.

“It is really one of the worst things one can imagine, particularly in connection with what a Christmas market should bring,” the governor said.

German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier said the attack interrupted the anticipation of a peaceful Christmas.

Chancellor OIaf Scholz posted on X: “My thoughts are with the victims and their relatives. We stand beside them and beside the people of Magdeburg.”

NATO’s secretary-general, the European Commission’s president and U.S. Vice President-elect JD Vance also expressed their condolences on X.

“Our prayers go to the people affected by this terrible attack on a Christmas market in Germany. What a ghastly attack so close to Christmas,” Vance wrote.

Saudi Arabia’s foreign ministry also condemned the attack on X but did not mention the suspect’s connection to the kingdom.

Magdeburg Mayor Simone Borris, who was on the verge of tears, said officials plan to arrange a memorial at the city’s cathedral on Saturday.

After a soccer match Friday evening between Bayern Munich and Leipzig, Bayern CEO Jan-Christian Dreesen asked fans at the club’s stadium to observe a minute of silence.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
‘Rush Hour 4’ Officially Greenlit — Thanks To Trump Endorsement

‘Rush Hour 4’ Officially Greenlit — Thanks To Trump Endorsement

The iconic Rush Hour franchise is officially ready for its next installment and has been greenlit for production, PEOPLE reports. However, it wouldn’t have been possible without President Donald Trump, who lobbied on the film and its director’s behalf. The surprise news came from entertainment journalist and former editorial director for The Hollywood Reporter, Matthew Belloni.  The outlet had shared a recent X post made by Belloni on (Nov.25), which read, “I teased this last night in What I’m


O A

Louvre museum to hike entrance fee for non-European visitors by 45%

Louvre museum to hike entrance fee for non-European visitors by 45%

A visit to the Louvre museum in Paris is set to become significantly more expensive for travelers from outside Europe, with officials announcing plans to hike the price of tickets by 45%. From January 14, 2026, an individual ticket for visitors from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) — a grouping of nations that comprises the European Union member states plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway — will cost 32 euros ($37), a spokesperson for the Louvre told CNN on Friday. Those visiting as


O A

Hong Kong Fire Claims 94 Lives as Families Search for the Missing

Hong Kong Fire Claims 94 Lives as Families Search for the Missing

Families of the scores still missing after Hong Kong‘s worst blaze in decades scoured hospitals Friday as firefighting operations ended, with the death toll at least 94. Flames had moved quickly through the Wang Fuk Court housing estate in Tai Po district on Wednesday afternoon, spreading through the eight high-rises and transforming the densely packed complex into an inferno. A new time-lapse video shows just how dramatic and intense the fire was. The death toll is 83, with many still missin


O A

Eminem & Jack White Electrify Detroit’s Thanksgiving Halftime Show

Eminem & Jack White Electrify Detroit’s Thanksgiving Halftime Show

In a landmark moment for Detroit sports and music, Eminem and Jack White shared the stage for the first time during the Detroit Lions’ Thanksgiving Day halftime show against the Green Bay Packers. The performance united two of the city’s most celebrated musicians in a collaboration that sent the stadium into a frenzy. Eminem, a lifelong Lions supporter, partnered with his manager, Paul Rosenberg, to orchestrate the event. Fans were treated to Jack White’s powerful set, featuring a mix of his i


O A