Drake to Headline Wireless Festival for All Three Nights
#image_title

Drake to Headline Wireless Festival for All Three Nights


Share this post

Rapper Drake has been announced as the headliner for all three nights of this year's Wireless festival.

It will be his first UK performance in six years, with the One Dance hitmaker due to play a bespoke set on each night.

Wireless is celebrating 20 years and returns to Finsbury Park, London, between 11 and 13 July.

Other artists confirmed to be playing across the weekend are Burna Boy, PARTYNEXTDOOR, Summer Walker and Vybz Kartel.

Drake has most recently been embroiled in a rap beef with Super Bowl headliner Kendrick Lamar.

The spotlight will again be on the pair, as Kendrick has his own UK tour dates lined up for July, including playing in Birmingham the night before Drake's first performance.

Despite the origins of the feud going back a decade, the past year has seen it ignite again with Kendrick's Not Like Us takedown of Drake winning a Grammy - but also the subject of an ongoing legal case by the Canadian.

Drake first headlined Wireless in 2012, with the festival saying he holds the title "for the audience's most requested artist".

He recently released Some Sexy Songs 4 U, a joint album with fellow Canadian artist PARTYNEXTDOOR who will be performing on the Friday.

The same day will see R&B star Summer Walker on stage, who made waves with her previous performance at Finsbury Park in 2022.

Sunday will see Afrobeats icon Burna Boy making his Wireless debut, with dancehall star Vybz Kartel also performing on that day.

The Jamaican artist was freed from prison last year after having a murder conviction overturned.

Where are the UK acts?

The prospect of three nights of Drake has led to a mixed reaction from fans.

While some are excited to see "history" being made think his back catalogue is deep enough to make each night sound different, others have criticised the lack of UK artists.

"I don't think there needs to be three days," music fan Rehea Shillingford tells BBC Newsbeat, adding she's "not against Drake".

"There's other British artists that could have been headlining," she says, naming the likes of Dave and J Hus who have previously topped the bill.

But she is excited that Vybz Kartel will be performing, and feels he could "have been headlining".

Megaman, from garage and hip-hop collective So Solid Crew, says while Drake is "the biggest artist in the world", it's wrong to announce Wireless "without a UK artist".

"It's a UK brand, so I would always love to see a top UK artist as part of the first run of promo," he told 1Xtra Breakfast's Nadia Jae.

"We have so many big artists in the culture, there's no harm putting any on there."

"We love [Drake] for what he does. But we hope he's on-side and says: 'I have to put a UK act on the lineup'."

The festival has promised more acts for the weekend will be announced later.

Last year saw the likes Nicki Minaj, 21 Savage, J Hus and Doja Cat perform.

About 50,000 rap, R&B and hip-hop fans head to the event each day.

In 2023, Wireless signed a five-year deal with Haringey Council for the festival to be held in Finsbury Park every summer until at least 2027.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Rihanna Marks 20 Years of Her Debut Album ‘Music of the Sun’

Rihanna Marks 20 Years of Her Debut Album ‘Music of the Sun’

Two decades ago, a teenage Rihanna left her home in Barbados with a dream. At just 17 years old, she released her debut album Music of the Sun on August 29, 2005. Now, twenty years later, Rihanna is celebrating the milestone with gratitude, nostalgia, and fresh surprises for fans. To mark the anniversary, Rihanna shared a moving message on Instagram, reflecting on the moment that changed her life forever. “20 years ago, I left my country, my culture, my food, and family to embark on a journey t


O A

Trump Revokes Secret Service Protection for Harris Ahead of Book Tour

Trump Revokes Secret Service Protection for Harris Ahead of Book Tour

President Donald Trump has cancelled Secret Service protection for Kamala Harris, which had been extended by Joe Biden before he left office, according to one of her advisers. As a former vice-president, Ms Harris was entitled under law to receive six months of security after leaving office in January, which was due to expire in July. Her protection had been quietly extended for another year by a directive signed by her former boss but was revoked by Trump in a memo dated on Thursday, accordin


O A

Apple Music Now Lets You Transfer Playlists From Spotify

Apple Music Now Lets You Transfer Playlists From Spotify

Apple Music's latest feature makes it easier to switch services and juggle multiple music platforms. Apple Music app customers woke up to a new feature Tuesday, although not many know it exists yet.  View this post on Instagram A post shared by New Dope (@newdopehq) Apple Music subscribers can now grab songs or playlists from other music platforms, notably Spotify, and bring them to Apple. The ability to transfer music from other music services is buried in the Music App settings. Init


O A

Cam Newton Signs Multi-Year Deal with ESPN

Cam Newton Signs Multi-Year Deal with ESPN

Expect to see more of Cam Newton on ESPN.  The former NFL MVP has signed a muliti-year deal with the network who will expand his role on First Take, ESPN’s signature morning debate show. OnThursday (August 28), Newton made his return during a live show at Norfolk State University as part of the First Take HBCU tour. In a statement, Newton expressed his excitement to be back with the sports network. “I am excited to be back with the First Take team and share my voice on all things sports,” New


O A